In this podcast, Michael Canic discussed his book Ruthless Consistency, the insights it carries, and shared how his journey has helped him craft a strategy that could work on the testing times. He sheds light on the importance of ruthless consistency and how any leader could adopt it in their day to day activities and succeed in leading.
Michael’s Recommended Read:
Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times by Donald T. Phillips amzn.to/2K0h18Q
Ruthless Consistency: How Committed Leaders Execute Strategy, Implement Change, and Build Organizations That Win by Michael Canic amzn.to/3luMF1u
Some questions we covered:
1. Explain your journey to your current role?
2. Could you share something about your current role?
3. What does your company do?
4. Your book is titled, Ruthless Consistency. What does it mean and why is it important?
5. Be consistent. It sounds simple; why isn’t it?
6. What does it look like when leaders are inconsistent?
7. How important is ruthless consistency for leaders during today’s crisis?
8. You suggest that to develop and sustain the right focus, leaders stop strategic planning. Why?
9. To create the right environment, why must leaders be coaches, not just managers?
10. Can you explain why you emphasize holding people constructively accountable?
11. Why is it essential that leaders need to value people?
12. So, the key to success is when a leader acts with ruthless consistency?
13. You write about how commitment is what drives everything. Wouldn’t every leader say they’re committed?
14. Isn’t consistency limiting? Shouldn’t there be room for creativity and innovation?
15. Why ruthless? That sounds harsh.
16. You have a PhD in the psychology of human performance and you helped coach a college football team to a national championship. How did those experiences help shape your views?
17. Who will benefit most from the book?
18. What is the first thing that a leader can do to become ruthlessly consistent?
19. What are 1-3 best practices that you think is the key to success in your journey?
20. Do you have any favorite read?
21. As a closing remark, what would you like to tell our audience?
Michael Canic, Ph.D., is the author of RUTHLESS CONSISTENCY: How Committed Leaders Execute Strategy, Implement Change and Build Organizations That Win (September 1, 2020; McGraw Hill). He is also the president of Making Strategy Happen, a consultancy which helps committed leaders turn ambition into strategy, and strategy into reality. Previously, he managed the consulting division at The Atlanta Consulting Group and held a leadership role at FedEx. Michael earned a Ph.D. in the psychology of human performance from the University of British Columbia. Currently, Michael leads strategic change initiatives in the corporate world and spent the past 25 years consulting with CEOs and top management teams across North America. A former national championship-winning coach, Michael is also a member of Marshall Goldsmith’s global 100 Coaches project. He lives between Denver and Vancouver and has written over 400 posts for his blog.
Work 2.0 Podcast is created to spark the conversation around the future of work, worker, and workplace. This podcast invite movers and shakers in the industry who are shaping or helping us understand the transformation in work.
If you or any you know wants to join in,
Register your interest by emailing: email@example.com
Want to sponsor?
Email us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Work 2.0 Podcast,